It seems almost too crazy to believe, but January is right around the corner and with that comes a fresh new year. Resolutions are all well and find, but when it comes to your career, don’t leave anything to chance. Make sure you set yourself up for success in 2015 with some simple end of year steps and planning:
- Make sure both your resume and LinkedIn profile are up to date.
- Stock up and take advantage of all those sales to re-order your business or networking cards.
- Set some S.M.A.R.T. professional development goals for 2015.
- Take some time to check out what conferences you’d like to attend in the coming year and get them on the calendar so you can plan for them (both financially and by making plans for the family).
- Are there any classes you’re thinking about taking? Now’s the time to research the offerings, cost, etc….and figure out if it makes sense to register in the coming year.
- If you’re a job seeker, set some S.M.A.R.T. goals for how you’ll attack the job search in the coming year (find some networking events, career fairs, etc…). Get your goals written down and make sure you set timetables so you don’t keep shoving them off.
- If you’re a small business owner/freelancer/entrepreneur, establish your business goals for the upcoming year. Divide your financial goals by quarter so that you can adjust your business on a quarterly basis (if not more often) to make sure you’ll meet your goals.
- Having trouble with goal setting? Check out this article by our own NMSN coach, Dr. Krista Wells.
This is just a partial list of things you should be doing before heading into the New Year. What would YOU add to the list?