Many people make a New Year’s resolution to spend less money. One way to do that is take care of what you already have so that you don’t need to replace items. For clothing this is very simple. Treat your clothes like dear old friends.
- Do not throw your clothes on the floor; fold them or hang them according to the fabrication– always put them away neatly.
- Keep them clean and fresh. The less you wash them, the longer they will last.
- If you have a small spot or stain use a Shout wipe or Tide stick. A steamer will remove stale smells. Febreeze is great for killing bad odors too.
- When you do wash your clothes read the labels carefully to make sure that you are doing it correctly.
- Mend tears and shave sweaters.
- Make sure that your shoes are clean and polished. Check that the soles are in good shape, and replace heels and treads when needed.
- And last but not least, make sure that your clothes fit you well. Take your clothes to a tailor. A good tailor can make off the rack clothing look custom made.
Joyce Neave, Image Consultant